In this day and age, doing business online requires some essential things. Primary among them is a website. A website is your headquarters in cyberspace. If you’re selling some products, for example, your website serves as your online store where you could display your products. If you’re enrolled in an affiliate program, your website can serve as the hub of your affiliate links. If you’re availing of the Google AdSense scheme, your website is the place where everything happens, as the ads will be displayed in its pages, visible for all your visitors to click.
With all that’s going for it, it goes without saying that designing your website should be given much care and attention. It is, after all, the center of your online enterprise. You would want it to be as accessible, as eye-catching, and as pleasing as possible.
Here are ten tips that would greatly help you in building a website that would facilitate excellent business.
1. Get a domain name. A domain name would add a lot of professionalism for your site as well as your business. Domains can range from $4 to $100, depending on the name value and the recall potential.
2. Get a good web hosting service. This should be one of your essential investments for an online business. You would want your visitors to have a hassle-free experience in accessing your site. Choose a web hosting service that has a large bandwidth limit, and perhaps even a large storage space if you plan on hosting several files.
3. Organize your site by making an outline. Your pages should form a congruent whole, and never disjointed. You could only do this by preparing a keletal framework of your site before you start building it.
4. Optimize your site by making it search engine- friendly. You could do this by choosing the right keywords. Go to www.inventory.overture.com or https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordSandbox and type in the subject that your site will cater to. These tools will give you a list of suggestions that you could use as keywords.
5. Place your keywords in your meta tags. This would immediately inform the search engine spiders that your site fits the relevant queries.
6. Strategically insert the same keywords in your content. A keyword density level of 2.5 to 4% is ideal, but anything above that would be risky, as your content might become overly redundant and unreadable.
7. Remember this very important fact: CONTENT IS KING. People will visit your site primarily because of the information it promises to share. If your content is but junk, or is very poorly written, your visitors would just leave as fast as they came to your pages. You would have to provide for them the information they need, in a manner that would give them satisfaction.
8. Test drive your site before uploading it. Make sure that all the links are working, and that every feature included therein is intuitive and easy to use. There should be no dead links. You wouldn’t want your audience to think that your website was prepared haphazardly.
9. Submit your site to as many search engines as possible. All your SEO techniques would be useless if the search engines don’t get to index your search pages.
10. Always, always, always try to update your content. Search engines love changing content. Updating the information that your pages share would win the favor of the search engine spiders. These robotic little critters would sift through your site before others once the next relevant query is made, if you’d often change your content.
The success of your website would be tantamount to the success of your business. Prepare your website well and you’d be able to reap the rewards it promises to bring.