Advantages in Communication with the Infants through Sign Language
By Charles Hopkins
Published 11/2/2006 | Kids & Teens
Even before your little angel reaches her first birthday, she learns to express certain emotions. For example, she will shake her head when she grossly disagrees with you. She will wave her little hand at you as you set out for office. She even recognizes the important persons in her environment by names.
After all of this, you want little more dont you? Maybe you would like your little one to let you know when she is in pain. Maybe life would be a lot easier if she could let you know every time she wets her diapers. Well all of this would be possible and more if your child were trained in baby sign language.
Lets see exactly how sign language training can help your child and turn your child rearing process into fun activity.
- Baby sign language precisely enables your baby to get what they want. The sign language helps them to communicate effectively with those around them and help them to ask for something as and when they need them. This communication power enables them to continue with any activity or conversation that interests them. Thus, a highly communicative bonding starts to develop between you and your child long before she learns to speak.
- When your baby is unable to convey her mind to others, she becomes frustrated and starts to throw all kinds of tantrums. As the baby learns several sign languages, she can let the others know what she wants or what she does not want. She can also let you know what pains her or what bothers her. Her needs are immediately addressed as she makes them known---this prevents your child from experiencing frustration. She is confident too that she will get what she needs. This way, your child will have complete trust and you will see a happy child romping around.
- The trust of your child will lead to a greater and stronger bonding between the two of you. The baby sign language empowers your child with the tools of expression and communication and you also learn how to respond in a better way to your childs needs. Thus the parent-child bond is enhanced. The process of signing is taught through the daily interactions, and so the bond is strengthened day by day. That will eventually lead to a two-way conversation.
- The greatest advantage of introducing your baby into sign language is that it enhances your childs intellectual capacity. The effect of this training in their early infancy stays with them forever and works for the improvement of their memory. As a sort of activity, the sign language training fascinates the children and naturally they pay greater attention to whatever is being taught. The greater attention translates into greater perception and it has been proved that children better understand the meaning of a particular word that has been taught to them as a part of sign language training.
- Last but not least, sign language training helps your child to develop a better intelligent quotient. This is simply because, a sign language training in their early years, help stimulate the brain cells which results into better brain development. The results of researches show that signing babies achieve higher IQ scores in future by around 12 points than children who learn to speak in normal way. When your baby is learning the signing language its brain is working in the same way as when we learn a second language. Both the right and left hemisphere of the brain is used as the child learns signing language and this use of both hemispheres helps the brain to develop in a better way.