Valentine's day, and the gifts that are exchanged, offers a splendid opportunity to impress your loved one with a special touch, a special thought - something that says "I've been thinking of you".
The common, and easy approach to Valentine's Day simply requires you to reach for your credit card and send chocolates and/or flowers, usually at the last minute!
But a gift that says you've taken the time to think about the likes, dislikes and personality of the person receiving the gift more truly conveys the message that you care for and appreciate that person; that your gift is not just an empty, automatic, obligatory gesture.
With the other person clearly in your mind as a starting point, lets consider a few proven gift ideas:
1. Fresh Flowers. OK, don't scoff. This is pretty traditional - however, although most men think of sending a classic dozen red roses, there are surveys which indicate 62% of women prefer lighter, softer colors, such as lemon, white, peach and pink. There are also some unusual colors available, such as lavender and orange. As well, there are different combinations of many other flowers available. Do you know her favorite flower?
2. Find A Special Song Or Collection Of Songs For Her MP3 Player. You really have to know the other person for this to work. However, it does show that you've actually been listening to what she's been saying. An extra plus is that she'll think of you whenever she plays these songs.
3. Animal Lovers Pamper Their Pets. Although not directly personal, offering gear for a beloved pet can appeal to those who have a "love me, love my dog" outlook. Works better with cats and dogs than with goldfish.
4. Chocolate Covered Strawberries. Has an irresistible quality that you can easily share, along with the strawberries.
5. Sporting Types Like Sporting Gear And Tickets To Sporting Matches. Don't cheat on this one. Be honest. Does she REALLY want to go to that ball game? If so, it's an opportunity to share a joyful experience.
6. Spa/Massage. The Internet can really help you with this one. Gift certificates are available online. Be sure to check the nature of the pampering they offer. Can be ideal for a twosome.
7. Potting A Special Plant. A beautiful plant can last for months, or longer, and will be around as a constant reminder that you cared.
8. A Personal Photo or Video Album. Gather some happy moments into a permanent reminder of good times. Add some witty and clever captions.
9. A Picnic For Two. Requires a bit of thought and planning carrying it off. Good food; favorite wine; beautiful setting, perhaps close to a lake or river...
10. Romantic Weekend Getaway. The ultimate "thinking of you" gesture, as long as it's planned carefully beforehand to avoid the possibility of any "Faulty Towers" moments.
Valentine's Day is one of the most important events on the romantic calendar. It's true that commerce has made great inroads on the day with seemingly endless promotions - BUT the opportunity is still there for you to make it a special day of your own; to add something of your own insight and personality; to show your loved one that you truly care.