Extended Stays In The Turks And Caicos

By Zaithyn Galter Published 09/11/2009 | Travel
Thinking about having an extended stay in a tropical paradise? Turks and Caicos Islands and the Island of Providenciales (Provo) in particular are very safe and welcoming and a great place for a sabbatical.
Despite having modern amenities and being one safest countries in the Caribbean, Turks and Caicos is still relatively untrampled and there are still vast deserted beaches just waiting to be explored. There are also better known beaches like Grace Bay Beach on Providenciales which has been declared at times the world s best beach.

There is also a lot of options in terms of Turks and Caicos real estate and rentals, including hotels, resorts, condos and private homes available for long term rental or purchase.
Let s dig into a couple of the things you need to know in terms of entry requirements for your stay.

Shorter Visits
If you re going to check out the Turks and Caicos prior to making a decision about a longer term stay, you don t need a visa for stays under 30 days, but must show a Passport and proof of departure (your return air ticket) to be granted temporary residency.

Longer Visits
If you are staying longer than 30 days, you must apply to the immigration department for an extension up to 6 months at a time. Turks and Caicos is very welcoming to travelers and is generally very amenable to extending your stay. You can get full details through the Turks and Caicos immigration site at http://immigrationboard.tc/go/en/home--page.html

Permanent Residence Status
Permanent Residency Certificates are granted to applicants who have made a 250,000 investment in real estate in Turks and Caicos. These certificates come in categories with and without the right to work. To accommodate those wishing to retire to the islands, the without the right to work certificates are very straightforward to obtain, while the right to work option typically requires the applicant to have had a work permit for at least five years. Full details are available at the immigration board site.

Work Permits
Work permits are also issued by the immigration department and are typically issued on a year to year basis, although 3 year permits are also available and self employed individuals may apply for a 5 year work permit. Work permits are typically arranged by the employer or through and employment agency.


Robert Edwards works with the Hartling Group and writes about travel and Real Estate - Turks and Caicos. He's traveled extensively across the North America, Europe, Polynesia and the Caribbean in search of the perfect beach and looks forward to his own extended stay on Providenciales.