Stretch marks, the fine lines or scars on the skin, can be the worst nightmare for anybody. But appearance of stretch marks depends on the elasticity of your skin.
It can also be a matter of genetics. If your mother or sister got stretch marks during their pregnancy, you are more likely to get that.
However, it will depend on how fast your skin gets stretched.
Cause of stretch marks
Stretch marks can appear anywhere on your body where skin is stretched, or overstretched. The normal production of collagen gets disrupted and as a result stretch marks appear.
They are most likely to appear in the places where fat is stored – the abdomen, breasts, upper arms, thighs and buttocks.
These marks are not harmful. These are simply cosmetic issue, and needs to be treated accordingly.
Though stretch marks are common in girls and women, men get stretch marks too. Obese people, bodybuilders, and people who use steroid-containing skin cream can get stretch marks.
Ways to get rid of stretch marks
Unfortunately, there is no permanent solution of stretch marks. However, you can reduce their appearance by not gaining too much weight and with proper preventive measures.
The earlier you can detect them (when they are pink or reddish brown) the more likely you are to diminish their appearance.
Here are some general ways to get rid of stretch marks:
– Apply cocoa butter into the stretch marks.
– Massage with vitamin E oil into the stretch marks, especially after shower.
– Apply tretinoin cream after consulting your doctor, since this cream is available by prescription only.
– Eat foods that are rich in vitamin A, E and C. You can take supplements along with your regular diet. However, pregnant women should have this after consulting their doctors.
– Eat foods that are rich in zinc, and silica. These are good for skin and help form collagen, the supporting fibers in the skin.
– Eat foods that contain essential fatty acids. For example, vegetables, vegetable oils and fish oils. This will help make cell walls.
The best way to get rid of stretch marks is visiting a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. These doctors can actually help you with various treatments like actual surgery, and laser treatment that diminish the appearance of stretch marks.
Be careful during your pregnancy
Pregnant women are more prone to get stretch marks since they suddenly put on weight. This happens because elastin and collagen fibers become dehydrated and tear.
Make sure you are applying moisturizer on your stomach regularly during pregnancy. Creams like Retin-A can help removing the stretch marks. However, going to a dermatologist is the best option.
Laser therapy is one of the best options to remove stretch marks. Different types of lasers will be used depending on the color of the stretch marks.
One type of laser reduces the color of dark stretch marks while another stimulates the production of pigment-making cells in already faded stretch marks.
A newer type of laser therapy can be used to stimulate the production of collagen and help restore the skin’s elasticity in depressed stretch marks.