What can be the biggest threat when the atmospheric temperature gets low and it is extremely cold? You are likely to suffer from hypothermia that can even cause everlasting defects in your body.
Another dangerous disease during extreme cold is frostbite and that happens all of a sudden without any premonition.
Hypothermia and its cause
A sudden drop of temperature in the body due to fall of temperature in the external environment is precisely what happens from this severe cold attack.
The immediate sign of hypothermia attack is constant shivers followed by drowsiness and sluggishness. There will be incongruities in the speech of the person and that will ultimately take the shape of memory lost.
The energy level will suddenly fall and mostly in little children the skin will get reddened and the feel of warmth in the skin will be lost.
Adverse weather condition
The temperature below 60 degrees Fahrenheit is the line of demarcation to take precautions from hypothermia.
Elderly folks should become alert at the drop of temperature and the first thing they should take care of is the room temperature.
They must stay indoors and turn on thermostats to increase the room temperature at least by 10 degrees Fahrenheit.
Its a general rule for everybody that to prevent hypothermia during extreme cold temperature, you must keep your home at least at 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
Frostbite: how deadly it is
The most risky feature of frostbite is it doesn’t even give time to understand what’s going wrong. Once you are attacked you will tend to lose the sensation and a complete numbness will grow in your feelings.
Frostbites happen in three levels. In the initial stage you will find your skin to get whitened without even the slightest sensation. This skin gradually turns red.
In the second level or when the disease actually takes a deadly shape your skin will become purple in color with full of blisters. If precautions are not taken nothing can stop the skin from getting amputated.
Fight back and stay safe
You cannot challenge nature but you can definitely make arrangements to safeguard yourself in the natural adversity.
- Never take the risk of spending more time when the biting cold and chilling wind is blowing. Take a safe stance and immediately shift to indoors where you can arrange for a warm temperature and suitable environment.
- Clothes during extreme cold must be appropriate with the season. Warm clothes are must but a specific category of warm garments are most suitable. First of all whatever you wear should be windproof so that external coldness and chilling sensation don’t penetrate in. Most important of is that all your body warmth/heat has to be maintained. Therefore your clothes should be layered to retain the heat from inside not letting it to flow out.
- Woolen or leather hand-gloves and caps, mufflers, protective goggles are very important as outfit accessories. Similarly don’t ignore your footwear. The cold wind primarily attacks your skin, ears and feet.
- Those who are cardiac patients and have ailments with blood pressure etc, before the temperature really drops down, get a thorough checkup done by your physician. Keep the necessary medicines ready in advance.
- Don’t play with your life in the thrill of the chilling cold because both frostbite and hypothermia can cause permanent disorders in your body and make you a lifelong disabled.